The thing that’s so great about cashew cream is its versatility. You can take the basic recipe (1 cup soaked cashews + 1/2 cup water) and make it into anything you want – thick like a cream cheese, thin like nacho cheese, add lots of herbs & spices, or even make it sweet like a frosting.
The recipe I’m posting today is my version of nacho cheese. I love dipping blue corn tortilla chips in it, pouring it over broccoli or slathering it on a veggie burger. Experiment with using differnt spices or adding in some herbs – whatever suits your tastebuds.
This recipe is super easy – the hardest part is remembering to soak the cashews overnight.
- 1 cup cashews – soaked overnight in enough water to cover by 2 inches
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3-4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Drain and rinse cashews. Add them to your high-speed blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high for a minute or two scraping down the sides a few times. That’s it! You’re done. The cashew cream will last about 5 days refrigerated.