Hummus is one of those things we usually don’t bother to make ourselves because it’s one of those items that’s quick & easy to just buy at the grocery store. I get it. I do it too.
That said, hummus is super simple to make and if you do it yourself, you know that you’re not getting any additives or preservatives mixed in. Just delicious, whole ingredients. You also get the satisfaction of having made it yourself!
I make it easy for this hummus recipe by using canned beans rather than soaking the beans overnight then cooking them fresh the following day. It does taste better with fresh beans but I know that most of us are too busy running around every day to remember or have the extra time. Using high quality, organic, canned beans is totally fine and still tastes pretty darn great.
When I make this for myself, I usually use fresh herbs like basil, mint, parsley and dill to mix in however, I got inspired after shopping at the amazing, Spice Station – Silverlake in LA. I asked the owner, Bronwen if there were any spices or spice blends she was loving at the moment and she recommend, the First Fish Friday blend. While the blend may be intended for fish, after taking one whiff of the dill and fennel pollen I knew it was meant for this hummus.
I made this as soon as I got home and I was super happy with the result. The herb mix feels like Spring and the hummus was delicious. You can order any of her spices online but if you don’t have this blend handy, go ahead and use fresh herbs instead.
This is the perfect, plant-based protein snack for when you need a little pick-me-up in the late afternoon. I promise it only takes about 10 minutes to throw together and it will taste a million times better than the tubs you buy at the market.
What kind of herbs will you be using?
- 1 can organic, cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup roasted tahini
- Zest and juice of one organic lemon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons water, if needed
- Pinch or two of marash chili flakes or red pepper flakes, optional
- **either 1 rounded teaspoon of the “first fish Friday” dried herb blend from Spice Station in Silverlake OR approximately ¼ cup of fresh mixed herbs of choice, chopped (i.e. basil, mint, dill, parsley, cilantro, chives etc.)
- In a food processor, combine the beans, garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper and pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, stream in the olive oil, scraping down the sides a couple of times. Add in water 1T at a time to desired consistency.
- Add in chili flakes, if using, along with the dried or fresh, chopped herbs to the hummus, pulse a few times until combined. Taste and adjust to your taste for additional herbs, salt and pepper; and, if you’d like, thin it out with a few tablespoons of water or more lemon juice.
- Sprinkle additional herbs and chili flakes on top for garnish.