Rice pudding holds a special place in my heart. The summer before 6th grade I had to get an operation that left my head all wrapped up for about a month over the summer. To ease some of my discomfort, my Mom got me a tub of rice pudding just about every day. It was from the supermarket and was probably filled with crap, but I loved it and it made me happy.
As an adult, I still get a hankering for it on occasion, but I don’t want all the dairy and refined sugar. So after some experimentation, I came up with super creamy vegan version that I am now in love with.
It’s the perfect vegan comfort food.
- 2 T tapioca flour
- 3 ¼ cups unsweetened rice milk – [i]I like to use [url href=”https://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1467/202.php” target=”_blank”]Rice Dream Organic Rice Milk[/url] as it does not contain carrageenen[/i]
- 1 ¾ cup canned coconut milk (equivalent to a 13.5 oz. can)
- ½ cup white basmati rice – [i]rinsed in a few changes of water and soaked for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours[/i]
- 6 cardamom pods, [i]crushed slightly[/i]
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp rose water
- pinch of saffron threads
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp (non-GMO) soy lecithin
- 2 T shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the tapioca starch and ¼ cup of the rice milk and mix to form a paste. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining 3 cups rice milk, and1 ¾ cup coconut milk with the rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, sugar and tapioca mixture. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Lower the heat to maintain a high simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced by about two thirds, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Fish out and discard the cardamom pods & cinnamon stick. Add the rose water, saffron, salt and soy lecithin and stir briefly to combine. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well combined, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- To serve, spoon the pudding into 4 individual bowls and garnish with the pistachios.